Updated June 30, 2015
Introduction; Consent to Terms
You may copy, download one copy on a single computer, and print a limited amount of content, for your personal, non-commercial use only, provided that (i) you include without modification all copyright and other proprietary notices contained in the content, (ii) you do not modify the content, (iii) you do not use the content in a manner that suggests NPR promotes or endorses your, or any third party’s, causes, ideas, products, sites, applications, platforms or services, and (iv) you do not use the content in any way that is unlawful or harmful to any other person or entity.
NPR Satellite Services®, National Public Radio®, and NPR® are trademarks or service marks (“marks”) of National Public Radio, Inc. All rights in these marks are reserved by NPR. You may not use any NPR-provided marks, or other logos, or graphics, without NPR’s prior written consent.
Users of the NPRSS Services may post, upload, transmit and otherwise submit (“Submit”) comments, messages, recommendations, and other content and materials (“User Materials)” on or through the NPRSS Services. You acknowledge that User Materials may be routed through our servers, the servers of one or more third parties and the Internet, and may be viewed by NPR staff and on the unrestricted areas of the NPRSS Services by the general public.
NPR does not allow framing of any of the NPRSS Services.
Links to the NPRSS Services
NPR permits links to nonrestricted areas of the NPRSS Services. You may not, however, link to restricted areas of the NPRSS Services (non-public areas accessible only to registered users), and any linking should not suggest that NPR promotes or endorses your, or any third party’s, causes, ideas, sites, products, applications, platforms or services, or use NPR or NPRSS content for inappropriate commercial purposes or in any way that is unlawful or harmful to any person or entity. We reserve the right to withdraw permission for any link.
Links to Third-Party Services
The NPRSS Services may contain links to sites, applications, platforms and services maintained by third parties over which NPR has no control. NPR does not endorse the content, products or services of such sites, applications, platforms and services, or any of their operators, and NPR is not responsible or liable for the content, availability, accuracy, quality, advertising, products, services or other materials on or available from such sites, applications, platforms and services. NPR shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, products or services available on or through such sites, applications, platforms and services.
To participate in certain NPRSS Services activities, you must register and establish a password. You are solely responsible for all activities that occur using your registration or password. You must maintain the confidentiality of your password, and you agree to immediately notify NPR of any unauthorized use of your account or password.
Rules for Using the NPRSS
By using the NPRSS Services, including by registering for the NPRSS Services, participating in any messaging system, Submitting User Materials or by using any other features of the NPRSS Services, you agree to the following rules:
- You must be at least 18 years of age to Submit any User Materials or personally-identifying information on or through the NPRSS Services. If you are between the ages of 13 and 18, you may browse the NPRSS Services or register for email newsletters or other features of the NPRSS Services with the consent of your parent or guardian, so long as you do not submit any User Materials. If you are under 13 years old, please do not send any information about yourself, including your name, address or email address. If we discover that we have collected any personally-identifying information from a child under 13, we will remove that information from our database as soon as possible.
- You may not Submit any User Materials under a false name or a false email address. You may not impersonate another user or provide any false information about yourself.
- The NPRSS Services can only be used for personal, non-commercial purposes. You may not Submit any material containing any solicitation of funds, advertising, promotion, solicitation for goods and services, or recruiting. You may not use the NPRSS Services for political campaigning, recruiting votes, or soliciting support for legislative or other initiatives.
- You may not Submit any software or other material which contains any virus, trap door, back door, worm, Trojan horse or other harmful computer code, files, scripts, agents, programs, adware, device or other features that may access, alter, delete, damage or disable any hardware, software, information or other property of NPR, NPR member stations, other Content Providers or users of the NPRSS Services. You may not use the NPRSS Services to distribute chain letters, mass mailings, “spam” or duplicative or unsolicited messages in violation of applicable laws, or to gather user names or email addresses for the purpose of sending unsolicited email or other communications to other users of the NPRSS Services.
- You may not interfere with or disrupt the integrity or performance of the NPRSS Services, any portion or contents thereof, or related systems or networks, or use the NPRSS Services in any way that degrades their reliability, speed or operation, or their underlying hardware or software. In addition you may not attempt to gain unauthorized access to the NPRSS Services or its related systems or networks.
THE NPRSS SERVICES AND ANY CONTENT, MATERIALS, USER MATERIALS, FEATURES OR PRODUCTS AVAILABLE OR SOLD ON OR THROUGH THE NPRSS SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF TITLE OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. NPR DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE NPRSS SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE. NPR DOES NOT MAKE ANY WARRANTIES AS TO THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM USE OF THE NPRSS SERVICES OR ENDORSE, RECOMMEND OR MAKE ANY WARRANTIES AS TO THE CONTENT, INFORMATION, MATERIALS, USER MATERIALS, FEATURES, SERVICES, PRODUCTS, OPINIONS, OR STATEMENTS AVAILABLE ON OR THROUGH THE NPRSS SERVICES OR THROUGH LINKS ON THE NPRSS SERVICES. USE OF THE NPRSS SERVICES IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
IN NO EVENT WILL NPR, ITS DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES OR MEMBER STATIONS BE LIABLE (I) FOR ANY INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE NPRSS SERVICES OR (II) RELATING TO ANY PRODUCTS AVAILABLE OR SOLD ON OR THROUGH THE NPRSS SERVICES. IN NO EVENT WILL NPR, ITS DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES OR MEMBER STATIONS BE LIABLE FOR ANY AMOUNT IN EXCESS OF $100.
Right to Change the NPRSS Services
NPR reserves the right to change, terminate or suspend the NPRSS Services, any features of the NPRSS Services, and any materials contained on the NPRSS Services, in any way, at any time and for any reason or no reason. NPR also has the right to require you to cease accessing any features or materials of the NPRSS Services.
The NPRSS Services is controlled and operated within the United States. NPR makes no representation that materials or products available on or through the NPRSS Services are appropriate or available for use outside of the United States. If you access to the NPRSS Services from a location outside the United States, you are responsible for compliance with applicable laws, including local laws regarding online conduct and content and U.S. export laws and regulations.